Thursday, June 28, 2018

Vaalkannadi


Vaalkannadi – The word means mirror with a tail, a hand held little mirror for the women folks.   Aranmula, a town in Kerala, is known for its incredible ancient craft of making mirrors out of super polished metal alloys where the combination of the ingredients is a well-kept secret.  
The Vaalkannadi or Aranmula mirrors represents goddess of wealth and luck.

This is my humble effort to get this traditional design of mirror as a wearable art.  Of course, I have used the regular mirror as centre piece, embellished with tiny sand sized faceted beads on the pendent shaped like the Vallkannadi.    The pendent is strung on beaded cord which is made by my mother with handcrafted polymer clay beads.  The set is completed with matching earrings.

The length of the pendent itself is 4 inches, the length of the necklace is 14 inches including the pendent weighing about 54.4 grams.  The earring is 2 inches long and 3.1 grams each.

It was an instant hit, sold within no time of my posting it for sale.  I am happy the piece is now owned by one of my dear friend.  


No comments:

Post a Comment